[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Jazz Festival

Charlie Hull charlie at easysounds.com
Mon May 11 08:38:07 PDT 2009

Borcher. There's a name you don't see any more in the Sacramento jazz
literature, including the event program or website. A websearch for Bill
Borcher will show his biggest claim to fame was as an Oregon baskeball
coach, but while a dean at a Sacramento college Bill helped found the
Jazz Jubilee and built it into the world's largest. He had a knack for
getting people to work as a team, was open to ideas and delegated
responsibility for getting things done.

While originally a trad jazz festival, swing bands were soon added, then
an increasing variety of other genres; ragtime, western swing, blues,
zydeco; toward attracting larger audiences.

Borcher eventually moved back to Oregon and was replaced as director.
The Jubilee eventually outgrew itself and started running in the red.
This year's event, renamed Sacramento Jazz Festival, is scaled down to a
more compact locale and fewer bands. It's still a major presentation of
fun music. The program and band descriptions are available on
www.sacjazz.com.

The Jubilee (Oops...Festival) is an interesting study in the evolution
of entertainment events, leadership styles and changes for change's
sake. The cash register will tell whether the changes are for the
better. Whatever, it's fun to perform in it and maintain the
relationships established since my first one in 1978.

Charlie Hull