[Dixielandjazz] Getting Gigs

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun May 10 09:13:23 PDT 2009

Jim Kash adds something that I forgot to mention:

(snip)
Also, I will always "guide" my enquirer to the right time to play & the
right area of the affair.  If it's for a wedding, for example, I will
suggest playing during the reception/cocktail time of the party, where our
band has great success, and "suggest" they get another band or a dj for the
dance after the dinner.
(snip)

I also guide some clients on their time line and other suggestions.  A lot
of clients are very inexperienced in putting on events.

Events in the US do not happen as late as they do in Spain.  Cocktail hour
at 6:00 PM, dinner at 7:00 PM Band starts at 8:00 PM.  No Way.

I explain to them that while the cocktail hour starts at 6:00 PM, a lot of
people straggle in between 6 & 7.

Dinner at 7:00?  Often dinner is a little late.  Sometimes it is hard to get
people to sit down.  It all takes time.  Then there are speeches which
always take longer then expected.

I suggest the band start later.  That way we are not sitting around on the
clock and then creating bad feelings when we are off the clock and have not
played the entire time.  I'd rather have a happy client.

Jim goes on to say:

(snip)
It's just a matter of making sure the client gets
the type of music he should have at the correct time for the success of his
happening. That has the added bonus of getting us away from the party at the
decent hour of 10:30pm (when the guests will normally sit down to dinner),
rather than have to stick around and play from 1:30am to 5am!  (Hee, hee.)
One must remember that on many occasions your phone caller may never have
done what he has been charged with doing before, and any help from "a
professional" can be greatly appreciated.  I said "can be", as naturally one
must step lightly in these situations.
(snip)

I often suggest piano or a trio for the cocktail hour and for dinner with
the full band starting later.  The whole thing depends on your experience in
doing these kinds of gigs for 50 years, on listening to the client and as
Jim Kash says, gently guiding him/her.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
rsr at ringwald.com
530/642-9551
916/806-9551 Cell
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band

Hear our latest CD at:
www.fultonstreetjazz.com/music.htm

Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich
countries to rich people in poor countries.
 - Douglas Casey, Classmate of Bill Clinton at Georgetown University.