[Dixielandjazz] Looking for recording of "Way Down Yonder in New Orleans" with verse

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat May 9 17:05:51 PDT 2009

Dave Gravatt requested:
> .... a good rendition of a recording of "Way Down Yonder in New
> Orleans" that includes the verse.

Dear Dave,
"'Way Down Yonder in New Orleans" goes back to 1922 (Turner Layton,
music - Henry Creamer, lyrics) as you know.
I have always maintained that to get the correct musical version
(particularly verses) of any tune it is always worth going back to the
earliest (uncorrupted) recorded or sheet music source.
So far as recordings of WDYINO are concerned these include 1923
renditions by The Cotton Pickers and Paul Whiteman.
I can send you an mp3s of both, unless you get a better offer closer
to home.
But not until tomorrow, as it is Sunday here in Oz and I will be off
shortly to our regular Sunday afternoon pub job.
Today's special guest is Bob Barnard, as Jack Wiard has a better offer.
8>)
Very kind regards,
Bill.