[Dixielandjazz] Decline in pay/getting gigs.

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat May 9 05:02:45 PDT 2009

Larry wrote:  The simple rule is get them talking and guide them with
questions...

...referring to receiving phone calls for bookings.  This is the "essential"
rule!  I rarely say much of anything at the beginning of a phone call.  I am
interested in hearing what kind of gig it is, where/when, and for what type
of audience, plus the clincher...who's paying?  Once I have all that info I
can then quote a price.

A club where we work from time to time, for instance, called.  Would we do a
one niter (in the late afternoon, weekday) at his club.  That was weird
'cause he always gives us a weekend, and the gigs start at midnite.  Listen,
listen, and listen more...., and out comes the info that the gig is a
private party in the club for the presentation of a new brandy.  My price?
The one I use for private companies, not a club price.  Shock & horror from
the club owner.  "Thanks for thinking about us" from me.  Who was paying the
gig?  The company!  Easy answer for the price, then.

Did we damage the chance of more normal gigs from the club?  Nope!  He never
shells out more than a few weekends in a year, no matter what.  Did we
maintain our prices?  Yep!  Did losing the one gig change our lives much?
Nope.

Just an example.

Jim