[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Jazz Festival

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed May 6 21:38:20 PDT 2009

David Richoux wrote regarding the name change of the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee
to Sacramento Jazz Festival:

 > I also have performed and/or was in the audience at Sacramento's
>> festival every year since 1978 or so - I do like the trend  Sacramento
>> has been taking towards a more diverse line-up of musical  styles - it
>> will be a while before they can match JazzFest in this  area, but
>> anything is good - as long as we can get wider audiences  to show up for
>> what is still generally thought of as a total "ol'  white folks Dixieland
>> party..." (I know the management is trying  hard to change that image,
>> but the local press and TV still present  it that way for the most part.)
(snip)

Yes Dave.  We have been fighting that battle for many years now, ever since
we introduced Zydico to the Jubilee in the early 90s.

For instance, we have a meeting with the local TV stations.  We say, "The
Jubilee is much more than just banjos and tubas."  We give them the rundown,
etc.  We say, "Please don't show the banjos, tubas and old ladies with the
umbrellas.  They agree.

Then on opening day, turn on your TV and what do you see?  Banjos, tubas
with senior citazins and little old ladies parading around with umbrellas.

Now, I have nothing against tubas and banjos.  In fact, I play banjo as a
2nd instrument.  But for the sake of changing the image of the festival and
getting more younger people, and people of color out, we need to show young
people and young bands on TV.

It is hard to sustain the festival when the folks who were 40 years old when
it started 36 years ago, are now 76 and dying off.

And think about this.  If you show a venue crowded on TV, people say, "I
don't want to go to the festival, it is too crowded."

But if you show a venue with empty seats, people don't want to go because,
if it isn't full, it must not be very good.

 --Bob Ringwald