[Dixielandjazz] Des Camm

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon May 4 22:05:11 PDT 2009

Max Hughes wrote:
> For Aussie list members,
> I have heard an unconfirmed report that Des Camm has suffered a
> stroke. I
> wonder if anyone can confirm this, and advise on the severity,
> prognosis etc

Dear Max,
The short answer is "yes', although it appears to be minor only. Old-
timer Ian Smith is depping for him at the moment.
More serious is Maurice Garbutt, who had a heart attack on the golf
course while playing with some doctor mates, who attended to him 'on
the spot'.
He was put into an induced coma and intensive care several weeks ago
and is stlll in a serious condition.
For those who do not know them, Des Camm and Maurice Garbutt are well
known, respected and talented Australian jazz trumpet players in the
Melbourne region of Victoria.
Des with his own New Orleans Jazz Band and Maurie as founder-leader of
the popular and long-established Yarra Yarra Jazz Band.
Kind regards,
Bill.