[Dixielandjazz] Playing on "Back Beats"

Mike Woitowicz banjomusic at charter.net
Mon May 4 11:37:57 PDT 2009

Playing on the "Back Beats" (beats 2 & 4) is kind of a novelty effect that I have heard implemented by numerous bands at festivals. I remember first seeing and hearing it done by the Titan Hot Seven at the Madison, WI Jazz Society festival several years ago. I made note of it and used it in one of my next gigs with my Dixie Barons Quartet. It adds a nice touch and breaks up the normal round robin of solos with four beat background. If I remember correctly, we used it on the middle of the chorus to "Rhythm King" while the clarinet was taking a solo.

I can't offer any historical reason why it's used on the middle of the verse of "Struttin' With Some Barbeque", but I would venture a guess someone thought it would sound nice, so they just did it and the idea found it's way on a recording. As frequently happens, when a good idea is recorded, it's picked up ad infinitum by everyone else.

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
The Dixie Barons Dixieland Band
Solo Banjo Shows