[Dixielandjazz] N.O. J & H Festival

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun May 3 21:29:23 PDT 2009

This blog review is about one of my personal favorite bands - The New
Orleans Klezmer All-Stars. I have seen them play at the fest and in
late-night club sessions on Frenchman Street many times. They mix
traditional jazz, Klezmer, NO Brass Band Funky beats and Jam band
grooves with a lot of good humor (and they are one of only a few bands
in the world I actually dance to on a regular basis!)

Dave Richoux

http://www.nola.com/jazzfest/index.ssf/2009/05/klezmer_allstars_give_jazz_fes.html
> Klezmer Allstars get Jazz Fest-ers dancing like no one's watching
>
> Posted by mreid May 02, 2009 17:37PM
>
> As I type this blog, Bon Jovi and Kings of Leon are playing rock
> music on either end of the Fair Grounds at Jazz Fest. Rock music is
> great. You bob in place. Clap your hands. Wiggle your hips. But
> rarely do you really let loose.
>
> At a New Orleans Klezmer Allstars show you can't not dance with
> abandon. With dizzying tempos, wailing woodwinds and throbbing
> sousaphone, the music practically dances itself. It's a joyous,
> celebratory sound that captures the urgency and thrill of be alive
> and happy.
> And, thanks to often complex and shifting time signatures, there's
> really no wrong way to dance to it. All you need to do is move your
> feet any which way you please, and you'll fit right in with everyone
> else. At their set at the Sheraton New Orleans Fais Do Do Stage on
> Saturday (May 2), there were people stepping, skipping, twirling,
> circle-dancing (like a hora), partner-dancing, jumping and generally
> channeling their inner child.
>
> Galactic saxophonist Ben Ellman, at the Fair Grounds to close out
> the Jazz and Heritage Stage with his side project, Midnite
> Disturbers, added to the klezmer frenzy.
>
> So, as the hordes streamed in either direction to the two big rock
> acts, the Klezmer Allstars kept their large, appreciative audience
> happily whirling and spinning in the grass.

Footer