[Dixielandjazz] Pareles on the N.O. J & H Festival.

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun May 3 10:52:34 PDT 2009

I have been going to JazzFest almost every year since 1980 - when they
started bringing in "Ringer Headliners" I always run to the smaller
stages - that is where the most interesting performers are, anyway! I
also like the interviews, folk-craft exhibits and other attractions
(especially the food!)

I also have performed and/or was in the audience at Sacramento's
festival every year since 1978 or so - I do like the trend Sacramento
has been taking towards a more diverse line-up of musical styles - it
will be a while before they can match JazzFest in this area, but
anything is good - as long as we can get wider audiences to show up
for what is still generally thought of as a total "ol' white folks
Dixieland party..." (I know the management is trying hard to change
that image, but the local press and TV still present it that way for
the most part.)

Dave Richoux