[Dixielandjazz] Edmond Hall

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat May 2 15:10:35 PDT 2009

Hi Bill,

> Marek Boym wrote [in part]:
> > Edmond Hall certainly was under-recorded; yes, there are quite a few
> > records around, but some much lesser musicians have recorded much
> > more.
> >

> Dear friend Marek,
> I have to disagree you.
> A rare event.
> Not about the always wonderful playing of Ed Hall, but the statement that he
> was "under-recorded'.
> Not so.
> I have a discographal listing that cites 260 record dates for ED Hall from
> his first with the Ross Deluxe Syncopators in August 1927 to the last (under
> his own name) for Jazzology in February 1967, a week prior to his untimely
> death at 66 while clearing snow from outside his home  in Boston.

The Jazzologies were not recorded FOR Jazzology.  I don't know about
the concert with Hackett, but presume it was not spcially recorded for
Jazzology.  The Quartet and the one wigh Alan Elsdon are British
recordings acquired by George H. Buck.

> At a conservative estimate of 6 tunes per session,

Not conservative at all.  most sessions in the nineteen twenties
produced less than 6 sides per session, even if the Ross DeLuxe
Syncopators' session produced 8.  Most rendered four sides.

 that equals over 1500
> recorded performances.

I really was not aware there were that many.  Still, on some
recordings he can hardly be heard - some of the Claude Hopkins' band,
for example.  But I forgot his many entries in This Is Jazz.

I dod mention being aware of the availability of many records with Ed
Hall.  While I have not checked (I wouldn't even know how), but there
are probably more sessions featuring Hymie Schertzer.

But how many recordings did he make under his own name?  Many LPs
issued under Hall's name were actually by bands of others.  I've seen
an Lp actually by the Ralph Sutton Quartet, but issued as by Edmond
Hall (there were days when Sutton wasn't as well kown and respected as
now).

And look at the list of issues under the names of some of the New
orleans musicians active in the 1960's through '80's - many have more
records to their credit than Hall, although some of them were OK at
best, while Hall was one of the greatest ever (even if I still swear
allegience to His late Majesty the King, whose smooth sound was a far
cry from Hall's).

Best regards