[Dixielandjazz] R.I.P. Dave Phelps

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Fri May 1 11:09:29 PDT 2009

John Blegen wrote:
> Late yesterday I received the news that pianist Dave Phelps died suddenly this past Tuesday.  He had been having some health problems and collapsed while walking in Evanston.  He died shortly after in Evanston Hospital.  There will be a memorial service at King House, 1555 Oak St., Evanston, at 2 p.m. on May 16.
>
> Dave played in many Chicago area bands and was the house pianist at the Gaslight Club for many years.
>

>  John Blegen
> jcblegen.com

I am sorely saddened to hear this news. Knew Dave well and worked with
him for several years when he and I were in he House Band at Jazz Ltd.
He also played on several Jazz Ltd. Band Reunion Band concerts we did
withWayne Jones, Jim Beebe and others. I am happy to have many tapes
made live at some of these sessons to remember him by.
He was a fine player, quiet and studious in nature, and both Jean and I
have man good memories of him. We will keep Dave  in our thoughts and
add a prayer for this gentle fellow.. He was, to quote the best
compliment for any musicians to have..."A good player!"
Don Ingle
Baldwin, MI