[Dixielandjazz] Jazz; what's in a name

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Thu Mar 26 03:45:04 PDT 2009

There are some words used in connection with New Orleans jazz that need to
be defined. Of these probably the least important is the word "jazz" itself. It
 is a word of a distinctly dubious etymology. Most dictionaries, including
the  illustrious Oxford Dictionary, cautiously restrict themselves to "20th
Century.  Origin obscure". Occasionally one comes across suggestions that it
derives from  "jass" supposedly a slang expression for sexual intercourse. That
seems to me to  depend on Storyville being the birthplace of jazz. Since this is
not so "jass"  suffers a credibility gap as a consequence, although it seems
the least unlikely  of all the suppositions. Mervyn Cooke says that "jass" was
a derivative of  "jasm" a colloquialism for "orgasm". My favourite, if only
because it is so  ludicrous, comes in Sweeping the Blues Away in which Master
Leigh assert that it  " ... probably comes from the initials of the marching
hymn 'Jesus Almighty,  Save Our Souls'" And the band played "Believe it if you
like!" Cooke might be on  safer ground in stating that the ODJB changed "jass"
to "jazz" because  disreputable types were erasing the letter "j" on their
posters.
There  are very many other theories ranging from the doubtful to the
hilarious.  According to some it came from the jasmine perfume favoured by New Orleans
 prostitutes, or alternatively from a San Francisco slang word for peppy and
enthusiastic. The French verb "jaser" - to chatter - has been in the witness
box. Verdict: not proven. Someone came up with the hypothesis of a derivation
 from "chasse beau" alleged to be a Louisiana dance figure. And there was me
thinking that chasse beau was a disease of sheep. Someone else lays claim to
its  origin deriving from an African dialect without offering any convincing
argument  in favour. My out and out favourite at the fanciful end of the
spectrum is that  jazz is a corruption of the Cajun slang expression for a
prostitute: "Jezabel" -  pronounced as "jasse-belle." And the band again played
"Believe it if you like!"  Since, as discussed elsewhere, jazz is not a word often
employed by New Orleans  musicians themselves such fruitless speculations need
detain us no longer , but  really, jasse-belle! Oh my, oh my, where do they
dredge up this stuff! By the  way, according to the author and critic Gene Lees
the first known use of the  word "jazz" in print was in a San Francisco
newspaper report of 1913 about  drummer and dance band leader Art Hickman's group.
Incidentally - and I include  this as an illustration of the ludicrous - there
was a determined attempt in the  early-1950s by modernists in an American
magazine (either Metronome or Downbeat  - I cannot remember which) to replace the
outmoded term "jazz", so a competition  was held to find an alternative. The
winner was "crewcut" - I kid you not! -  music "cut" by a "crew" of musicians,
all presumably wearing that cool hairstyle  favoured by modernists. Mercifully,
we were spared that as also we were  "oom-crack". This I recall was suggested
on the basis that it suggested the  off-beat emphasis on 2 and 4 in 4/4 time!
The latest (2003) and possibly the  most ludicrous claim I've heard is that
the term "jazz" came about because of  the music played on the riverboat JS.
Well I never!
Brian Wood