[Dixielandjazz] Struck by a Comment

Kevin Yeates kyeates at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 24 13:58:01 PDT 2009

" A friendly senior lady  quickly responded, "Oh, no, I don't want to hear any jazz.  Only music  where I can recognize the tune."

 I love this comment as a similar thing happened at a gig last weekend.  We were playing trad jazz and during the break I got talking with a couple in their early 30's. They said they loved the music style  and wanted to know what it is called. I told them "Dixie" or "Traditional Jazz".  The response was immediate. "No, no, this can't be jazz.  There's a recognizable tune in every piece you played."

I have explained to people that the term "jazz" is as broad as the term "dog".   A Great Dane and a Chihuahua don't look or sound much alike, but they are both dogs. Same thing goes with jazz.  That's why I very rarely call it Trad Jazz. I call it Dixie, New Orleans sound,  or "upbeat and fun", but I avoid the jazz word.

Kevin Yeates
Vancouver, Canada