[Dixielandjazz] the oldest what???

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Mar 24 02:28:41 PDT 2009

>> How about the oldest jazz musician still playing professionally? Of
>> course,
>> we have to rely on their age as they give it (or refuse to!)

To which Dingo replied: Les Paul at 93 perhaps.

Dear John and friends,
Notwithstanding that there will be someone in New Orleans, I nominate
my dear mate, Australian jazz pioneer Graeme Bell.
He and his late brother Roger started their first real jazz band in
1938-39.
I was going to mention this earlier in the thread but, agreeing with
my friend Jim Kash's comments, decided that the bands fronted by
Graeme, without a break, up to 2004 contained too many different
personnels over 65-66 years to be considered 'continuous' and would
not really qualify.
However, with 70 years (1935-2005) of professional jazz playing to his
credit, Graeme Bell should be mentioned in the oldest category.
He will be 95 in September this year and is still very active on the
Oz jazz scene, but now in semi-retirement musically.
Last year Graeme and I co-produced a 2CD set of his original
composition 1947-2007 for NewMarket Music.
It's selling well too.
Kind regards,
Bill.