[Dixielandjazz] Vale Graham Spedding

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 23 16:28:13 PDT 2009

Dear friends,
It is with sincere regret that I advise Graham Spedding passed away
peacefully on Sunday evening, 22 March 2008, after a long illness.
I met Speddo through our love for jazz in the 1950s, at which time he
became dear mates.
As he was to all who knew him well.
He will be missed, not only for his cheerfulness at all times, but
also for his important contribution to Australian Jazz over many years.
Very kind regards,
Bill.

Spedding, Graham [Speddo]: (b. Sydney NSW 25.11.33) clarinet/
saxophones. Began playing clarinet in 1951, played with the Zenith
Jazz Band (1953-55), to Moscow with Southern Cross Jazz Band in 1957,
then joined the Black Opal Jazz Band and the Jazz Pirates (1960-62)
until becoming a member of Graeme Bell’s All Stars (1963-67). He left
Australia in 1968 to work in South Africa, England (with Joe Daniels,
John Parker, Eric Silk, the Black Bottom Stompers), Greece and US
military bases in the Middle East and Europe. Returned to Sydney in
1976 and joined the Ray Price Quintet (1975-77), freelanced (1977-80),
with Abbey Jazz Band (1980s) and from then on ran restaurants with his
wife Pam while freelancing musically. Founder-member of the Sydney
Swing 5 jazz ensemble (1998-until illness forced his retirement).