[Dixielandjazz] Oldest Jazz Bands still playing

M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 22 18:56:25 PDT 2009

I think this was both a loaded, and a very interesting, question from
the get-go.  In truth, there's no way to answer it.  We know by now what
the questioner meant by "continuous", but as long as something doesn't
officially cease to exist, wouldn't "regular" on "periodically" be more
apt?  Take South Frisco; it "officially" "hung up its hat" in 1998, but
has played, and for all I know several times, since then, for a variety
of functions, mostly private, I think.  Can we say, though, that it no
longer "exists"?  And if the Bob Cats went for a while not playing, did
that mean they didn't exist?

I don't mean to be a bother to the questioner or anyone.  But this
question, never to be perfectly expressed, was bound to consternate!