[Dixielandjazz] Ditto on Queen City

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Sun Mar 22 11:23:59 PDT 2009

Mike Johnson wrote:
> Queen City Jazz Band in Denver has been together for 50 years-- may be 55.
>
> Mike Johnson
> Parker, Colorado
>
> The Merseysippi Jazz Band of Liverpool, England has been in existence
> well over fifty years, as has the Oregon Jazz Band of Coos Bay, Oregon,
> USA. I believe they are still available for gigs.
>
> Charlie Hull
>
> bud wrote:
>
>> My Epsilon Jass Band is 46 years old this spring, Can anyone give me
>> details of longer running bands?
>>
>> Don Ingle will know if anyone does.  Don played trumpet with us for a
>> year or two.
>>
>> Just curious.
>>
>> Bud

I was going to mention the Queen City Jazz Band, too. I played a month
with them in their early years at the old "Monvue",with Al Fredricksen
leader; then the Local 20 business agent dropped by andsaid thebandwas
not intheunion and I should halt my wring with them. Since much of my
work was also union, I heeded the hint.
The current band is not at all like that original, it being very N.O.
and heavy on the two beat. The current edition is very much arranged,
and very well rehearsed and plays much more charted, but it is still a
good and hot band. The singer, Wendy H., is the perfect doppleganger for
Bessie, Ma Rainey, Sippi Wallace and other blues singers of the great
era of "belters."
It was fun playing with the original, but the arranger in me also finds
the current edition much more interestng to listen to, and I am sorry my
local 20 card is long expired, as I would have loved to work a few sets
with them. Played oppositeof them wiht the Sons of Bix at the Central
City festivals inthe late 80's, and they are even better today.
Don Ingle