[Dixielandjazz] Oldest Trad Jazz Bands

Harold Smith s3856lpa at webtv.net
Sun Mar 22 08:16:32 PDT 2009

Hello All,

Though they may not be the VERY oldest of the trad groups, I'm surprised no one thought to mention The Salty Dogs, founded, I believe, in the very early 50's at Purdue University, and in their various forms are still wonderful whenever they play today.

There's a version known as The Chicago Salty Dogs with Kim Cusack (cl.), Tom Bartlett (tb), Mike Walbridge (tuba), Jack Kuncl (banjo), John Cooper (p.), and Wayne Jones (dr.), plus various trumpet or cornetists, who still play in the Chicago Area.  These guys still have the verve and the skills to make this music absolutely toe-tapping and exciting.

Regards.
Harold