[Dixielandjazz] Ebene String Quartet (Quatuor Ebene)

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 14 07:19:10 PDT 2009

Do you like the music of string quartets? If so check out Ebene.
Perhaps not OKOM but I wish they would play some and put it on their
web site

Quatuor Ebene is a wonderful string quartet based in Paris with a
broad classical repertoire. Plus they crossover into jazz, but as far
as I can tell, not our kind of jazz. I sure would like to hear them
play some OKOM as they are great.

They are very popular. Virtuosos all.

Their renditions of Miles Davis's "All Blues", and Chick Core's
"Spain" are great. See website page below. Listen especially to the
swinging, precise pizzicato of the cellist. Also, to see them in
action, click on the video of their "Pulp Fiction". Visit:

http://www.quatuorebene.com/en/article/page/jazz

And check out their schedule. Portland, Seattle, New York, Gainsville
coming up in the next 10 days. They just finished a concert at the Le
Poisson Rouge in NYC which was not listed on their schedule, but
reviewed glowingly in the NY Times.

NY Times: "After a short break the quartet returned for its jazz set,
in which the cellist, Raphaël Merlin, frequently played like a jazz
bassist, with as much pizzicato as bowing, and plenty of bent notes.
His solos and those of his colleagues — Pierre Colombet and Gabriel Le
Magadure, violinists, and Mathieu Herzog, violist — were spirited and
consistently inventive. It would be hard to say which version of the
Ebène quartet is more pleasing; but then, you don’t have to.'

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband