[Dixielandjazz] Just Say No - Was Economics of OKOM

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 13 09:16:06 PDT 2009

Regarding the problem of bookers and musicians who de-value the music,
Paul Edgerton suggested we copy Nancy Reagan famous drug slogan and
(concerning low or no wage Dixieland gigs) "just say no".

That the slogan has never worked because just like druggies who are
still addicted to drugs, 40 years later, there is a large population
of jazz musicians who are addicted to "playing without pay". And both
will do anything just to get a fix. They are mentally unable to just
say no.

If we are to eliminate druggies and musicians who will do anything to
get their fix, perhaps what we really need to do  is send Guido around
to either adjust their attitudes, or really eliminate them. <grin>

Or perhaps the rest of us need to learn how to market our musical
product in a manner that overcomes those who are selfishly screwing up
the market.

Ask Ross Anderson how he does it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone