[Dixielandjazz] 70 Girls 70

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Thu Mar 12 12:04:49 PDT 2009

Bill Biffle wrote:
> A local theater group here is doing this show and wants me to put
> together a small combo for it.  I have the conductor's score which
> indicates a typical Broadway pit orchestra.  Anyone done this show?  How
> tough are the parts?  How feasible would it be to do with, say 1 tpt, 1
> reed player (doubling or tripling) 1 t-bone, keyboards, bass, and drums?
> That is to say, with my Dixie band?
>

> Thanks, in advance, for your help.
>

> Bill Biffle
>
> Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
>
> Duke City Jazz Band
>
> Duke City Dance Band
>
> bbiffle at brgcc.com

If you people are all good readers, have experience following a
director, and put in sufficient rehearsal time, then go for it. If not
prepared as noted, then take a pass. Having  played enough show  scores
in my checkered career, I learned that  the size of the band is not as
important as the ability of the players to read and play the score and
to follow direction flawlessly. With such a small group, any
shortcomings are all too easily noted.
You decide if you are prepared to undertake it and at a professional
level if so,  then go for it.
Good luck,
Don Ingle