[Dixielandjazz] Economics of OKOM

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 12 09:23:42 PDT 2009

Here's what happens when music is viewed simply as a commodity and not
as something that will enhance the event. <grin>

This was sent out to about 50 bands. I've deleted the name and other
contact information, but if anyone is interested to do this gig for
the exposure, write me and I'll supply it. Caveat, if in an outdoors
venue, it is likely to be about 45 to 55 degrees.

I did reply with our band information and our minimum charge for a
three hour gig, during the day, and/or night (indoors only) which far
exceeds their stated pay scale. <grin>

I don't know how BSJB got into their data base as we have never
performed at this Wine & Dine Festival, though we have performed in
several venues in Newark, including several at the University of
Delaware and the Iron Hill Brewpub.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
http://.www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

*** Start of Email to BSJB

The Downtown Newark Partnership is seeking musicians for Downtown
Newark's 5th Annual Wine and Dine festival, to be held Saturday, March
28th, 2009. I'm contacting you to see if you are interested in
performing because your information is in our data base from our Food
and Brew Festival held in July. Essentially, this event will work the
same as the Food and Brew Fest or previous Wine and Dine events.

We will pay $25 per hour, or $30 per hour if assigned to the event
shuttle/trolley. Times and locations will be assigned by the Downtown
Newark Partnership. Your name, time(s) and performance location(s)
will appear in the event itinerary (if set in time for publishing
deadlines), which will be available at the Wine and Dine Information
Center and at participating restaurants, as well as on the shuttle/
trolley. You will check in at the Information Center in front of
Wilmington Trust before your performance.

Musicians not requiring electricity are preferred, although some
accommodations for electric may be arranged.

If you are interested in performing, please respond to me either via
email or fax at (302) 366-7160 with the following information:

Name
Address
Entertainment Type
Electricity or other needs
Times you are available to perform that day
Whether or not you would like to perform on the trolley

We will review our needs with your avialability and send a contract to
you in the beginning of March, if selected. Funds are limited for
entertainment, so please do not delay in responding.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. Should you have any
questions, or need more information, please do not hesitate to contact
me at *******

Intern, City of Newark Planning and Development

***End of email.