[Dixielandjazz] Ugly Chile

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 7 12:19:24 PST 2009

On Mar 7, 2009, at 1:05 PM, Don Ingle wrote:

> Stephen G Barbone wrote:
>> I think I heard Jack Teagarden sing the last couple of line as:
>>
>> You're knock kneed, pigeon toed and box ankled too,
>> There's a curse on your family and it fell on you.
>> You're so nappy, who's your Pappy, You're so ugly chile.
>>
>> Or the last line can be sung as:
>>
>> Your teeth are all yeller, who's your feller, You're so ugly chile.
>>

> That's the lines that Johnny Mercer used on his recording.
> Don

The first time I sang it with Tex Wyndham's local band, Tex was
surprised that I would sing the Nappy line. But then, that's the line
I always sang with my band which includes 2 blacks and to mixed black
and white audiences. No one ever got offended to my knowledge.

Bill Haesler reminded me in an off list message that George Brunies
also used the above lines. I heard both T and Brunies sing it live in
my misguided youth.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband