[Dixielandjazz] Ugly Chile Lyrics

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Fri Mar 6 08:42:04 PST 2009

Charlie Hull wrote:
> This is approximately what Johnny Mercer sang on the second chorus (as
> I recall):
>
> Gee, you're ugly, You're so ugly,
> You're some ugly chile.
> The clothes that you wear are not in style
> You look like an ape ev'ry time you smile
>
> How I hate you, you alligator bait, you
> Why don't you lay down and die
> You're knock-kneed, pigeon-toes, box-ankled, too
> There's a curse in your fam'ly and it fell on you
> You're so ugly, Gee, you're ugly
> You're some ugly chile.
>
> Charlie Hull
>
> John Gerber wrote:
>> Hi! I'm a newbie from texas.  Among my thousands of Hot Jazz tunes is
>> one first recorded by George Brunis and later by Eli's Chosen
>> Seven(They supposedly sang it at thefirst Newport Jazz Festival.
>> It's called Ugly Chile and I am going to try and find the lyrics for
>> this site tonight
>>

>>> Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 16:36:26 -0500
>>> From: budtuba at aol.com
>>> Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Abusing Song Titles
>>> CC: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
>>> To: jpg824 at hotmail.com
>>>

>>> I'd be amazed if someone hadn't brought up
>>>

>>> I'm In The Nude For Love
>>>
>>> Oil On Me (why not rub oil on me?)
>>>
>>> Do You Know That I Dream About 'Miss New Orleans'
>>>
>>> Everybody Rubs My Baby
>>>

>>> Roy (Bud) Taylor
>>>
>>> Smugtown Stompers Jazz Band
>>>
>>> Trad Jazz since 1958...we ain't just whistling dixie!

>>> A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps!

Johhny Mercer sang it on an early Capitol side and he wrote a first
churus lyric that was typical cool Mercer take. The fog of time keeps my
memory from letting it come to the front but I remember it as "Your some
pretty, oh so pretty, you're some pretty chile." It talked of the child
being younger and his mama saying he as pretty... "But the I grew up and
this is what I get..." or something along that line. Bet our Ozian
archivist Bill H. has it, or someone else with more active "little gray
cells!"
Don Ingle