[Dixielandjazz] Printing sheet music

PHIL WILKING philwilking at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 5 11:28:52 PST 2009

Jazz content: printing music to play.

For Windows users:

Sometimes those of us who share sheet music get a return message which tells
us the file doesn't print properly, usually that it prints in a very
enlarged form which does not fit on a standard piece of paper.

This probably is because the recipient has not set his computer to use the
best graphic printing program. The default program seems to be Windows
Paint, which is a poor choice.

The following is directed to those using Windows XP and Vista. I assume
those still using Windows 2000 and earlier are nerds enough to have solved
the problem.

For XP:

Go to the Start button
Select (All) Programs to bring up the list of available programs
Select Accessories
Select Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer)
Select the Tools Menu
Select Folder Options
Select File Types
Scroll down the list to BMP
Highlight the BMP file type to bring up the graphic program selection list
Click on the Change button
Click on Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to select it as the default program
for this file type
Repeat the above for each graphic file type you use (BMP, GIF, JPG, TIF, &
PCX are most common).

For Vista:

Go to the Start button
Select (All) Programs to bring up the list of available programs
Select Accessories
Select Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer)
Find a graphic file of a desired type
RIGHT click on the file name
>From the revealed menu select "Open With"
>From the list displayed, LEFT click on "Windows Photo Gallery" to select it
as the default program for that file type
(If Windows Photo Gallery is not shown, click on the tiny + sign to show
more programs)
Repeat for each graphic file type you use.

These programs do a good job of sizing images to paper and printing the
result.

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.