[Dixielandjazz] Fifties College Jazz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 4 13:17:32 PST 2009

Tom Duncan a/k/a  doctordubious at verizon.net wrote: (polite snip)

> It's great to know that many of us not only reminisce about "the
> Fifties",
> but still play the same "college jazz" of those days. Any comments or
> remembrances . . . Steve Barbone . . . Craig Johnson . . . Any others?

I did a bunch of college gigs as a sideman with The Southampton Dixie,
Racing and Clambake Society Jazz Band in the fifties. I was the
"racing" member back then, racing a succession of sports cars. From
1956 to 1962 I owned a Jag XK120M, traded it in on an Alfa Romeo
Giulietta Veloce and finally traded that in on a Mercedes Benz 300SL
Gullwing.

Circa 1960, I was driving cornetist Bill Barnes to an SDRCS winter
college gig at Colgate. We were in the Gullwing and ran into a snow
problem in upstate New York. Don't remember which road it was, but we
were on a hilltop and there were high banks on each side, with the
wind blowing at about 40 miles per hour across it. It had just stopped
snowing, we could see blue sky above, however we could no longer see
the road because of blowing snow. And there were no other cars on this
stretch of road.

Bill got out in his long overcoat and trudged along the road between
the banks as I followed, driver's door open and head out, so I could
see him. I followed him for about a half mile before we emerged into a
more protected region where we could see the road once again from
inside the car. Bill got back in, covered with snow, frozen stiff and
took a big pull from the bourbon bottle. He said, next time we'll use
his car and I could be the guide. I laughed and reminded him that the
Benz was a great snow car and his wasn't.

That night we played opposite a Rock band. The kids still preferred
Dixieland and doused the rock band with pitchers of beer. Their music
preferences would change shortly.

Cheers,
Steve  Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

“Anything that is good Jazz is a great escape. When you’re involved in
playing or listening to great Jazz, no one can get to you.” -Woody
Herman