[Dixielandjazz] "Visions of Jazz" by Gary Giddens and Early Jazz

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Tue Mar 3 17:06:53 PST 2009

Hi Dave
               It's a strange book, but he does emphasise in his early
pages the close connection between early jazz and minstrel/ pop/ stage
cum tin pan alley roots, something Tom Morgan has been exploring for a
long time, (and Bolden does get a word or two). A close look at the
Bolden repertoire would convince you of the connection - coon and comic
songs from  the stage mixed with love songs, alley songs, quadrilles,
blues and Classical Rags.
              My violinist asked: "Why are we playing this it's parlour
music?" He meant the pop song Lazy Moon 1903, a song believed to have
been one of Buddy Bolden's favourites, straight from the pen of the
stage writers Bob Cole and Rosamond Johnson. Early jazz was on the cusp
of the modern era, not quite there.
regards
Dan Hardie
http://tinyurl.com/nqaup