[Dixielandjazz] Tel Aviv Jazz Festival

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 1 06:46:47 PST 2009

> Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote about Tel Aviv JF.  (polite
> snip)
>
> It's good to see and hear young musicians attracted to OKOM.  The
> audience was quite large, with lots of young people, and very
> enthusiastic.
> Are you reading it, Steve?

Yes indeed I am reading it Marek. I still have not forgotten the
magnificent reception the New Orleans Ambassadors, fronted by Tom
Wiggins, (in which several listmates and I played) received at both
the Red Sea Jazz Festival on the dock in Eilat Israel and at the
impromptu 2AM to 6 AM jam sessions at in the courtyard of one of the
hotels there.

Those young people, both musicians and audience,  were as enthusiastic
about the music as I have ever witnessed at any jazz event including
Ellington's "Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue" performance at the
Newport Rhode Island Jazz Festival in 1956.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.barbonestreet.com
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband