[Dixielandjazz] John Wurr Chez Chesterman & George Chisholm

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 30 01:04:36 PDT 2009

Marek Boym wrote:
> Hi,
> I know and cherish all these musicians.
> BTW, when I first heard Chez Chesterman in Edinburgh in, I believe,
> 1984, he was introduced as Chez Chesterton, to great merriment of the
> public and consternation of the MC.

Chez is one of my favourite people. Just to be awkward I normally
introduce him by his proper christian names, Graham Robertson
Chesterton. You can imagine the fun we had on the road with the late Geo
Chisholm, who like Chez had a great sense of humour.

We were travelling in Scotland looking for our digs. Geo was sitting in
the front seat of my transit mini bus. I asked him to get directions. He
asked and old biddy in his best exaggerated Scottish voice the way to
the hotel. She gave him a filthy look and walked away. This jazz Knight,
as Davern used to call him, shouted after her, "I suppose a F***'s out
the question as well.

On another occasion, we were on our way back from playing the Palace
Theatre in Kilmarnock. This was a Sunday morning. We stopped at a hotel
in Ecclefechan. The hotel proprietor, who was serving behind the bar
guessed we were a 'Group'.

Chez and George went to the bar to get a drink, The hotel man asked what
music we played. Jazz said Chez. The man replied that he like a bit of
jazz and reeled of a list of British players from George's era, i.e. Ted
Heath, Kenny Baker etc.

Chez asked him what he thought of Geo Chisholm. To which the hotel man
replied, I don't care for him, too silly, dressed up like a wasp".

Geo used to appear as a comedian in the un PC Black & White Minstrel
show on BBC TV. He always appeared in a stripy costume.

Hearing this of course brough much merriment to Chez and George. George
was asked what he would like to drink. He said,"A Bitter Lemon please,
if that's not too silly".
--
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com