[Dixielandjazz] John Wurr

john petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 28 18:03:40 PDT 2009

Brian wood said,

 > I have a superb tribute to Johnny Dodds that John Wurr did with John
 > Petters
 > that far surpasses Dr. Michael White's tribute .....
 >
 > Why in an otherwise commendable piece do you feel it necessary to praise
 > John Wurr by indulging in knocking copy on Michael White?
Unnecessary. Just
 > as  it would be if I were to say that many "tributes" are really
pastiche.

Nice to know my CDs are appreciated. For those who want to hear what it
is like there are two clips,
Forty & Tight
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/assets/clips/dodfor.mp3

Wolverine Blues
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/assets/clips/wolverine.mp3

It is available from my website for £11 inc postage.

I can't comment on the other CDs as I've not heard them.

Our aim with the CD was to try to capture the style of Dodds and the
Chicago small groups.

John did a superb job, capturing the essence of Dodd's New Orleans flavour.

I carefully chose the other musicians who all have a vast experience in
playing hot jazz.

Chez Chesterman on cornet - again his own man - but a player who has
absorbed the likes of Natty Dominque and Freddy Keppard.

Martin Litton is the UK's premier interpreter of Jelly Roll Morton.

The slap bass of Annie Hawkins perfectly propelled the session along.

I had to limit my approach to the drums - playing lots of press rolls,
blocks, rims etc and very little ride.

We did the session over two days in my front room. Chez had to glue his
false teeth together with super glue as he dropped and broken them!

Much hilarity.

Keep swinging

John Petters
Amateur Raduio Station G3YPZ