[Dixielandjazz] Adele Girard

Stan Brager sbrager at verizon.net
Sun Jun 28 17:35:54 PDT 2009

When I delved into jazz history as a young man, one of the groups which I
encountered was that of Joe Marsala and his Hickory House band with Adele
Girard on harp. It was quite an interesting band playing very good jazz and
the harp added a unique sound to the mix. Joe and Adele were married. Later,
in 1992, Arbors issued a recording featuring the Bobby Gordon Quartet with
Adele Girard Marsala. Floyd Levin's liner notes declared "when I heard these
ethereal sounds, I thought I had died and gone to heaven." This afternoon, I
played this recording and searched the internet for information about Adele
Girard Marsala and found her story which had also been published in the
Mississippi Rag.

You can find it here:

http://tinyurl.com/mg6g3n

Stan