[Dixielandjazz] [Fwd: Re: John Wurr and music styles]

john petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 28 16:06:25 PDT 2009

> Glen Page wrote:
>>
>> P.S. John is a musician who is capable of giving a great performance in
>> various modes of jazz. Some may not appreciate one or more of these
>> approaches as much as another one but I would not knock him just
>> because the
>> gig that you heard did not fit your expectations.

John has a wide musical pallet. He can do early New Orleans style, swing
and a bit beyond.

Have a look at a video featuring John recorded at the Pakefield jazz
festival earlier this year. The reed section features, in addition to
John, Trevor Whiting and James Evans, Mike Pointon, trombone, Ken Sims,
cornet, Martin Litton, piano & Keith Donald, bass.
We played an Ellington tribute set which included 'Stompy Jones'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHyyVXvmZc

Jude said>

> Glen has said exactly what I'd have said .... but more succinctly.
>
> John has "depped" (subbed) with us in Kaminsky Connection (what WE call
> Chicago style) Big Bear Stompers,  and Harlem ( 12 piece band playing
> 20s 30s music)  I've also seen him with a jump jive band. Everything he
> does is done well as befits a true pro. I know a lot of players and
> listeners don't like to go outside their "safe" zone but once people get
> over their initial shock sometimes horizons are widened.

He also played in my Swinging Down Memory Laner Show with the late
George Chisholm OBE and Maxine Daniels. He turned up at Bournemouth when
Wild Bill and Art Hodes were over and had a blow with us then. John was
also invaluable in my 'SWonderful Gershwin Centenary Show.
We also did a Bechet Centenary CD,'Blame it on the Blues' on which he
played clarinet, alto and baritone alongside Trevor Whiting, Martin
Litton and Dave Green.

> In the UK there are a number of young people (well, under 40 anyway!)
> who have a new approach; James Evans, Amy Roberts, Graham Hughes,  Ben
> Cummings, Jamie Brownfield (age 17)  are just a few that spring to
> mind.  They all came to jazz through the traditional/classic route and
> all play with traditional style bands but they're certainly doing new
> things as well.  This new breed is our future.

James, Ben and Graham I can vouch for. I've yet to hear Amy and Jamie.

See James on the following YouTube videos:
By & By
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf6yDcQz-0g

Snag It
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=312cGwq62vI

Steamboat Stomp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-GVyK2X8WU

Special Delivery Stomp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdZlMdxgsIA

The Centenary Tribute to Gene Krupa & Benny Goodman 10 minute pro video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPf3SFT4Gm8

and others.
Cheers

--