[Dixielandjazz] The passing of UK musician/broadcaster, Steve Race.

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Sun Jun 28 02:36:50 PDT 2009

Whilst not as vituperative as Steve Voce or Leonard Feather, Steve Race, a
pleasant enough chap, was not very keen on traditional jazz. I worked  on
some of his radio shows where he was a man for all seasons, but away from the
 microphone he was often quite acerbic about New Orleans-style outfits. Not
quite  in the Monty Berman category (about the Crane River Jazz Band)
"Really, these  boys ought not to be allowed musical instruments!" but close. Me,
I quite  liked the Cranes, and Charlie Parker too, but there you go.
Perhaps that's why  his passing hasn't meant much comment.
Brian Wood