[Dixielandjazz] HJAGS

will connelly willconnelly at BELLSOUTH.NET
Fri Jun 26 18:58:03 PDT 2009

Actually, "HAGS" is the acronym for the Hot Jazz and Alligator Gumbo
Society in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, about 30 miles north of Miami. I'm
fairly sure of this because I co-founded and named the organization in
June, 1980 and was its Chef and Larrikin (chairman, president) for its
first decade of existence. You will understand that the truncated HAGS
acronym is correct when I explain that the J is silent like the "p" in
pswimming. The lyric to the society's fight song comtains the recipe for
alligator gumbo that begins (borrowing from Condon) "You squeeze the
juice from two ripe 'gators and a snake or two....". An mp3 file of the
song is available on request.
Kindly,
    Will Connelly