[Dixielandjazz] "The Band Director"

Custode at aol.com Custode at aol.com
Fri Jun 26 15:53:58 PDT 2009

The Band Director

It was the Fourth of July. The band was in their shirt  sleeves and getting
ready to rise for the  director....

The oboist was setting up his  tuner and sounding the Bb. But it was wrong,
so he tried a new reed. As  he put the reed into his mouth, he accidentally
inhaled it and began  choking.
He gestured to the director, who  waved back, pointing to his watch.

The desperate oboist threw his  music stand to the ground and stomped it to
smithereens. The band  director stormed over to give a lecture to what he
thought was an outburst  from yet another temperamental oboist.

But he  saw the poor guy was choking and turning purple. By now the oboist
was on  the ground and pounding the floor of the gazebo. Some say he even
tried to shove the  oboe down his throat to dislodge the reed. This was never
verified.
The band director ran to the drug  store across the street and dialed 911.
The voice came through the  telephone and the director explained the
situation. The 911 dispatcher  reassured the director that help was on its  way.

"Do you  know what to do until we get there?" asked the  dispatcher.

"Yes!"  replied the band director. "We are going to use a  muted trumpet".

Lewis D. Custode, Jr., CLU, ChFC, CASL
Home:  716.731.2898
Cellular: 716.228.2497
_www.LewCustode.com_ (http://www.lewcustode.com/)