[Dixielandjazz] uiRe: Gerry Mulligan on clarinet (was Paul Desmond / Frankie Trumbauer / Dixieland)

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Fri Jun 26 13:18:28 PDT 2009

Hi Bill (honorary Paisley Buddy),

My curiosity is aroused! I'm going to have to seek out the tracks of him on
clarinet and alto. I've got a bit of a curio involving Mulligan: he was on
an Atlantic LP of the soundtrack music from a biopic about Brasilian soccer
star Pele along with the band of Sergio Mendes. Pele wrote and sang 2 of the
songs and I think it's a safe bet that he was a bit better at soccer than he
was as a singer/songwriter. It could also be a great question for a pub
Trivia Quiz: When did soccer star Pele and jazz star Gerry Mulligan play on
the same side?

Mulligan's soprano playing is warm, fluent and very melodic with an
attractive tone - one of the more appealing soprano players. He loved
Brasilian music and made a fine CD with Brasilian singer Jane Duboc. I
haven't heard it in years, but I think he played baritone and piano on it,
and not soprano. I'll have to check out the YouTube link supplied by Steve:
the prospect of Mulligan playing clarinet with Jobim sounds pretty good to
me. Robert Calder kindly sent me a couple of mp3s of the 1963 Mulligan
Concert Jazz Band on which he plays clarinet with a warm, slightly woolly
tone and laid-back, but very melodic approach to phrasing which wouldn't be
out place in a good Dixieland band. What a marvellously versatile musician
he was!

Regards from a Paisley Buddy,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk