[Dixielandjazz] Gerry Mulligan on clarinet

Paul Edgerton paul.edgerton at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 11:44:03 PDT 2009

I can't believe I've come up with one that Mr. Haesler missed, but I
have a recoding of Gerry Mulligan on clarinet with strings and such
entitled The Lonely Nights (Night Lights), which I believe was his own
composition--possibly from a movie soundtrack. It's a low-register
clarinet ballad somewhat reminiscent of Jimmy Giuffre, or a much
hipper Monty Sunshine.

Hmm, what is this thing with baritone sax/clarinet doublers: Ernie
Caceres; Jimmy Giuffre; Gerry Mulligan (Bob Newman) ...

-- Paul Edgerton