[Dixielandjazz] ASCAP & Public Domain

Steve Heist steveheist at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 24 10:39:36 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Have to put in the most agregious example that I personally know about...  I
found out from an Indian restaurant owner (place seats about 40) in Colorado
Springs, Colorado that ASCAP showed up on her restaurant's doorstep one day
demanding about $300 a year from her for playing recorded BACKGROUND music
in her place!!!  (It was all Indian (not American Indian, but Indian from
India) music - manufactured in India)  She, being scared by them, paid up,
but I told her next time to tell them to "take a hike" since they were NOT
going to India to find the Indian performers and somehow re-imburse them in
any way...)  These people who do the ASCAP dirty work are completely
unconsionable when it comes to hood winking anybody they think they can get
a dime from!  I think they could give the Mafia a few pointers on squeezing
money...
ALL the Best,
Steve Heist