[Dixielandjazz] Public Domain Songs

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Jun 23 12:53:28 PDT 2009

Steve, and all.

The problem usually comes from the ASCAP or BMI "agent" assuming that
"any and all" live performers have (or eventually will) play songs
that are in the non-PD category. The enforcers have a lot of weight
they can press on restaurant, bar, and club owners - they don't know
and don't care much about songs in PD (or new songs that are written
and performed by bands that are not "protected" by ASCAP/BMI.)  As I
understand the rules, even PD songs that have been slightly modified
and recorded by covered artists are then considered not to be PD
anymore. Also, the name of a song could also confuse an enforcer: "All
By Myself" is a 1921 PD song, but it also is the name of a totally
different song done by Celine Dion...

"And That's Jazz" has lost several long running gigs in the SF Bay
Area because the owners didn't want to pay thousands of dollars in fees.

Dave Richoux