[Dixielandjazz] Public Domain music

Bruce Stangeland stangeland at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 23 11:08:28 PDT 2009

Dave,

According to the Public Domain Music website: http://www.pdinfo.com/list.php

"List of Public Domain Music
Any Song or Musical Work Published in 1922 or Earlier is in the Public
Domain in the USA.
No Sound Recordings are PD in the USA due to a tangled complexity of
Federal and State Law.

All Public Domain Information on this Site is Based Entirely on USA
Copyright Laws.
Public Domain Status Must Be Verified Separately for EACH Country where
Music is Used.
Music Enters the Public Domain 70 Years after the Death of the Author in
Most Countries Other than USA."

I know of a band that was recently shut out of a restaurant in the San
Francisco Bay area under similar circumstances.

A restaurant that I play in has what the owner called a "Cabaret
license". I believe he said it costs him several hundred $/year.
So, say you won't play anything written after 1922.

Good luck,
Bruce Stangeland
Berkeley banjoist

Message: 9