[Dixielandjazz] From a semi-lurker

Steve Heist steveheist at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 23 08:36:41 PDT 2009

Hi all,

You know, I posted the notice about the Montreal Jazz Festival up here in
Montreal, because although it, for the most part, is a more modern jazz
festival (and by the way, the world's largest jazz festival), that many
might like to listen to and/or expand their interest in the music.

I have always felt it doesn't hurt to listen to something new (unless it's
at a painful volume - ha ha)

I remember when I was young and just starting out in trad jazz, how we used
to take "modern" songs - Hello Dolly, Alley Cat, Washington Square, Bonnie
and Clyde, (remember that from the 60's???) etc. etc. and "make them our
own" and make some really incredible arrangements out of them.  Even now, I
have found a wealth of modern songs of THIS era - and turned them into GREAT
dixieland pieces.

Currently, the one I'm working on, is very exciting and I'd like to turn
some of the band leaders on to the song, "Woke Up This Morning",  by a group
(I believe) is called Alabama 3...  To those immediately unknowing of this
song, it is the theme song of The Sopranos!!!
(Woke up this morning, got myself a gun, Mama always said I'd be the, chosen
one...)
If you get a chance listen to it and I think you'll see it has a lot going
on in it - chord structure is simplistic to the max - as I've been listening
to it, it just seems to go back and forth from the minor to the 7th (Dm to
A7, over and over)  This kind of simplistic chord flow is great to improvise
on...  I would really love to hear a jazz band work this one up!  First,
it's VERY recognizable and I think would appeal to all ages.  Anyway, feel
free to work it up and, as always,
ALL the Best,
Steve "Stubby" Heist