[Dixielandjazz] Term 'Moldy Fig' in jazz

Daniel Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 23 07:57:55 PDT 2009

Barb & DJML--
     I've written about this before (in 2003), but here's the short
answer:

"Moldy figs From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moldy figs are purist advocates of early jazz, originally those such
as Rudi Blesh, Alan Lomax, and James Jones who argued that jazz took a
wrong turn in the early 1920s with developments such as the
introduction of printed scores. Blesh, for example, dismissed the work
of Duke Ellington as "tea dansant music" with no jazz content whatever.

According to John Lowney, the term moldy figs was first used in this
sense by Bernard Gendron in a 1942 editorial in Metronome magazine,
"'Moldy Figs' and Modernists: Jazz at War".

The term was later used by the beboppers with reference to those who
preferred older jazz to bebop. During the post-World War II era there
was something of a revival of "traditional" jazz, and bebop displaced
swing as the "modern" music to which it was contrasted. [4] More
recently, Gene Santoro has referred to Wynton Marsalis and others, who
embrace bebop but not other forms of jazz that followed it, as "latter-
day moldy figs", with bebop now lying on the side of "jazz tradition".

Although the term was originally a pejorative, it has at times been
embraced by trad jazz fans and players."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldy_figs)

     For the record, i checked out all editorials in 1942 Metronome
magazines, but never saw this reference.

     Dan