[Dixielandjazz] George Shearing

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Mon Jun 22 21:14:17 PDT 2009

 Marek Boym wrote regarding George Shearing:

 > Not always OKOM, although it seems that, having made enough money, he
> turned to OKOM again.  He made an excellent traditional record (thanks
> to Lowell for bringing it to my attention), and recorded with Stephane
> Grapelli.  likewise, he made several piano record more OKOM than
> modern.

Shearing made an album with the traditional Dixieland instrumentation with
Warren Vache JR on tpt.  I have not heard it for many years.  AS I remember,
at the time I heard it, I felt that most of the songs, including his
composition "Lullaby of Birdland," did not lie well in the Dixieland style.
I'll have to look for it and give it another lesson to see if it now, after
20 years, changes my mind.

--Bob Ringwald