[Dixielandjazz] Fionna Duncan

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sat Jun 20 14:44:37 PDT 2009

Bob Ringwald wrote:

"Does anyone have an e-mail address for
Fionna?  I met her, I believe it was in the 80s in Los Angeles and
introduced her to one of her idols, Nelly Letcher.  I'd like to drop her a
line."

Hi Bob, Marek et al,

I'm playing a gig tomorrow (Sunday) at lunchtime (British Summer Time) and the bassist is Fionna's long-time partner, Ronnie Rae (ex Alex Welsh etc), so I'll get an update on her condition as well as her e-mail addy. I'll be in touch Sunday evening (if still sober). Fionna has the best time of any singer I've ever worked with: she toys with metre the way jazz instrumentalists do and can quite happily turn the time round for extended passages. Accompanists sometimes get confused by this, but she never does and is always in the right place when she turns it back. On top of this she swings like mad too. A real jazzer, whose instrument is her voice.

While I'm on, I take DJML in Digest mode and note that my post (headed Lurkers cont'd) timed at 23:26 on Fri 19th didn't appear in any of the subsequent Digest transmissions. However I know it must have been distributed as an individual mail as Bob and Marek have responded to the news about Fionna. Any idea why it's gone walkabout from the Digests, or have I missed a Digest?

Regards,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk