[Dixielandjazz] Mah (my) Lindy Lou

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jun 20 00:24:33 PDT 2009

Dear Bill,
Back again.
As requested, herewith the summary of recorded versions of "Mah [My]
Lindy Lou", composed by Lily Strickland [1894-1958] in 1920:

•As "Mah Lindy Lou".
Philadelphia Male Quartet with piano. Recorded for Victor in Aug-Sept
1925.
Vaughn De Leath. Recorded for Edison on 6 Sept 1928.*
Paul Robeson. Recorded in London on 20 Oct 1932. Accomp. Ray Noble
Orchestra.*
[Also recorded in the 1920s by baritones, Robert Merrill and John
Charles Thomas.]
Quintet of Bennett College for Woman (with piano). Recorded for Victor
on 16 Jan 1933.
Jane Pickens. Recorded for Columbia on 19 June 1940.*
Burl Ives. Recorded in the 1950s.*
Bill Holman. Recorded in 1958.*
Jimmy Rowles, p; Rusty Gilder, sb. Recorded in NYC on 7 April 1974.
Released on Halcyon LP HAL110.
Mary Mayo. Recorded in 1977. Vocal with p/sb/d.
Barbara Lees and Keith Ingham. Recorded in NYC 11 Sept 1995. Released
on Challenge CD (Dutch) CHR70029.

•As "My Lindy Lou".
Ivan Harold Browning, vcl; Eubie Blake, piano. Recorded in NYC Aug-
Sept 1971. Released on EBM LP.

•As "Lindy Lou".
Noble Sissle. Recorded for Okeh on 7 Sept 1927 vcl with Rube Bloom, p;
Murray Keller, vln; Eddie Lang, g; Justin Ring, cello.
Joe Howard, piano. Recorded in the 1940s. Released on King LP661.
Rose Murphy with Sy Oliver Orch. Recorded for Decca on 3 May 1955.

*Indicates currently available on CD from Venerable Music and/or
Worlds Records.

Sorry about the overkill, but I had to do the research to prove that
there are no recorded 'dixieland' versions of the song.
Unfortunately, there are none that I could find.
However, the above may trigger other listmates' memories.
I have details of all the above, but did not bother providing those
for items unsuited to the project.

I have the Ivan Harold Browning and Eubie Blake 1971 version on LP.
Very kind regards,
Bill.