[Dixielandjazz] Mah (my) Lindy Lou

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jun 19 16:16:25 PDT 2009

Bill Biffle wrote:
> A friend of mine who is directing a play needs a recording of this to
> play during the show.  Anyone have one they can share?  ITunes
> doesn't.

Dear Bill,
I almost missed your request in the flood of 'lurker' emails.
8>)
"Mah Lindy Lou" was composed by Lily Strickland (born 28 Jan 1897) in
1920.
I have a version on LP, recorded by singer Ivan Harold Browning and
pianist Eubie Blake in 1971.
My research also turned up numerous other recordings ("My Lindy Lou"
and "Lindy Lou") including Noble Sissle, Joe Howard, Rose Murphy, the
Pickens Sisters, Jimmy Rowles, Barbara Lee (with Keith Ingham), Paul
Robeson and Burl Ives.
I have also found a similar internet query from a Mr Jim Walsh.
Is this your friend?
If so, he has already located most of the information (including
lyrics), that I can provide.
Before I duplicate most of it, and to save my research time, can you
please let me know if is indeed him?
Very kind regards,
Bill.