[Dixielandjazz] Little Jazz Festival up in this neck of the woods... "coctail swing"

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 07:16:08 PDT 2009

Thanks, David,
To me, "coctail" anything sounds like background to talkin, not music
for listening.
I admit that a name like "Rhumba Bums" sounds deterrin to me, since I
dislike Latin rhythms.  As it happens, I've heard the band in Breda,
the Netherkands, and was no overly impressed.
Lst night we went to Caesarea to hear the "Four Saxophone Octet" - a
tribute to the "Four Brothers" of Woody Herman's Herd.  I was dubious,
but the group, led by Harry Allen, with Grant Stewart - Tenor
saxophone, Jeff Rupert - Tenor saxophone
Adam Schroeder - Baritone saxophone and rhythm section of Chris Flory
(gtr), Chuck Riggs, Joel Forbes and Rossano Sportiello (a fantastic
young Italian jazz pianist), was excellent.

As was the Israeli Swing de Gitanes that played on the Promenade Stage
before and after the main concert.

The Caesarea festival is an open air event, the "Promenade" facing the
sea (the sunset was fabulous), and the main stage is located at the
foot of the magnificent ruins of a Crusader fortress.  There are some
3,000 seats,ans almost all were full.  Today it will probably fuller,
as the musical director has told us that Thursday sales were the
weakest.

Now I' looking forward to tonaight's concert - starting around 7PM
with Swing de Gitanes and followed at 9PM by Antti Sarpilla's
International Swing Quintet.  Swing de Gitanes are scheduled to follow
after 11PM.
Cheers