[Dixielandjazz] Protected CD's and DVD's

pj.ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 17 03:14:33 PDT 2009

Isn't this a form of theft? I've spent 15 years writing and updating a book

Glad someone has come up with this. I have been tempted but have stayed out
because I have rather strong feelings on the subject and didn`t want a flame
war started.

Of course it is theft. You may wish to preserve an original copy. If you do
then buy several. You may want to guard against theft. Same applies or just
take better care of your property. Don`t expect the artist to subsidize your
stupidity.

With the tools available now where anyone can easily make copies of
anything, audio, visual or written, it is obviously too much to expect
copying not to take place but some of the statements on this list "I would
never buy a CD which was protected"......  I need "to strip it onto MP3 for
my radio show" etc  indicate a  blatant disregard for both the law and the
income of all those involved in producing the item in the first place.  To
argue that `the record companies` can afford it` and other similar themes is
puerile in the extreme. If they don`t make a profit they very soon may NOT
be able to afford it, then what?  It may be OK for some emerging group to be
able to put their stuff out free but if the record companies cannot make a
profit then who is going to pay for a Philharmonic Orchestra or a  Tebaldi
or a  Caruso to record.The record companies are hurting from this piracy or
they would not be spending fortunes trying to stop it.

I am not blameless. I used to copy stuff onto tape to play in the car. Now
cars have CD players I no longer do so. I am putting my old 78`s onto CD and
in some cases there is no alternative but I know that a lot of material is
available on CD now and I should really buy it.. A knotty problem.

Cheers

Pat