[Dixielandjazz] Sign off themes of swing bands

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Tue Jun 16 20:47:47 PDT 2009

Ken Gates wrote:
> I was giving some remembrances of the swing band era with examples of
> theme songs of the major bands.  That was fairly easy to remember most
> of them.  But when I came to closing or sign off tunes, I vividly remember
> "Goodbye" the beautiful poignant signature from Benny Goodman, but my
> memory is failing me on some other examples.  I'll bet this list can help me
> out on this.
>
> Ken Gates

Ken et al:

The Ted Weems Band signed on and off with his theme song,"Out of the Night."
I know this one well - having grown up as a band brat with the '30's
band and later working with the Weems Band myself in the 50's. Lovely
theme, much in the mode of the Ben Bernie theme "Lonesome Old Town."

You are right - they had some really identifiable themes. "Gordon
Jenkins's Goodbye" was perfectly suited to Goodman as a closer - as was
his opening "Let's Dance."

To give you an idea of howw good these were as band ID's , name one for
the current crop of Rock Groups. Can't,  can you?

We who were there at the right time Salute you!

Don Inggle