[Dixielandjazz] Swing Dancing in Jerusalem

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Tue Jun 16 01:21:12 PDT 2009

Shalom Jazz Fans,

In our quest to bring classic jazz to Israel, the Ministry of Jazz leaves no
stone unturned. This year we met a group of young Israeli swing dancers from
Tel Aviv and began to work with them. Our crowning achievement so far was
last Tuesday night at our local comedy club, where we held an evening of
swing dancing. The club is small, but we managed to fit a 7 piece band on
the stage that was built for stand-up comedy, and a team of 4 dancers plus
groupies dazzled the crowd with their own dancing, and also got the audience
on their feet and taught them to Charleston and Lindy Hop. A small
beginning, but we will be looking for larger venues where we can get more
people dancing. We are beginning to incorporate the dancers into some of our
shows. We hope to bring swing dancing to weddings and other parties. Here is
a video of our show from last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwiimePujyE

In other news, Doctor Jazz Dixieland Band is growing in our repertoire. We
are now able to do parades and processions (watch out, Tom Wiggins and St.
Gabriel Band!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_571GRloDYU

And on Israel Independence Day we played for a barbecue for soldiers on duty
at an army base along the Gaza border (the same base that was attacked last
week, but managed to repel the attack with no casualties or damage).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfEMS8F8lsQ

The show for the soldiers was sponsored by an organization in Holland. We
invite you all to consider sponsoring a show for Israeli soldiers, terror
victims, or people living under attack along the Gaza or Lebanese borders.
Contact me for more details or to make arrangements.

Lately I have been updating our website, so please take a look.
www.doctorjazz.co.il. Support live jazz in Israel by buying our CDs (details
on the website), or hiring our band to entertain when you come to Israel.
Did I mention that my wife is a tour guide? Contact us when you come to
visit. We can arrange for your touring and musical enjoyment.

My latest venture is into the world of stand-up comedy. During the Lebanon
War in 2006, I went with a few other entertainers to perform for people
living in shelters in northern Israel. I met an American comedian who was
then a new immigrant. He has since opened Jerusalem's first comedy club in
the center of town, with an open stage every Monday nite. He encouraged me
to get up and try something, and since then I have gotten involved there,
and now my wife has just done her first couple of stand-up bits. Anyone for
a jazz and comedy tour of Israel? We're working on it.

Blessings from Jerusalem,

Elazar and Krina Brandt
Doctor Jazz Dixieland Band
Jerusalem, Israel